We have recently discovered what we believe are one of, if not the best wine producers of South West of France.
Domaine des Enfants is located in Maury, a small village in the Agly Valley of the Roussillon region of France, and the creation of Swiss born Marcel Buhler and his wife Oregon born Carrie Sumner. Visit our blog to read more about Domaine des Enfants.
The wine is available in countries across the world, including Japan: the USA, Norway, Denmark and Germany, but until now has not been available in the UK. We are therefore very excited to be representing them in the UK. Unfortunately, as the estate is comprised of just 23 Ha, and due to their strong international presence, allocations are tight. However, we have secured an allocation of 10 cases of their mid-range white and 10 of their mid-range red.
About the wines
Tabula rasa 2011: is a white wine cuvee from Grenache Gris, Grenache Blanc, Carignan Blanc and Macabeu. Rigorous grape selection takes place, followed by wild in-barrel fermentation.
‘An opulent bouquet of spiced arancello and rich stone fruits. Sensational palate containing notes of key lime pie and wild honey with an ethereal mineral twist’
L’Enfant Perdu 2010: Contains four legendary Roussillon grapes Grenache, Carignan, Lladoner pelut and Syrah, some up to 50 years old. Half of this wine is developed in French barrels holding 300-600l and the other half finds its place in concrete tanks.
‘Glorious nose of fruits of the forest, coco nibs with a touch of white pepper. Vivacious palate of juicy blackcurrants, fig with a charming flinty element’.
Why we love this producer
• Their wines express a ridiculous degree of concentration and complexity, at the same time as being refined and harmonised.
• Incredible price point £100/ case of 6 bottles + delivery, we conducted a blind tasting in the office and everyone in the team estimated that the cost was £30-50 / bottle!
• Fastidious production methods. Old vines are grown on extremely steep slopes, planted closely together to enhance concentration of the fruit, this means tractors cannot pass between the rows and horses are used instead, which helps maintain the integrity of the soil.
• Minimal intervention wine making techniques, such as no fining or filtration, which results in maximised expression of terroir and authenticity
• The Wine Advocate loves them too! All back vintages have scored 90+ points, the vintage we have on offer is yet to be reviewed, but is widely regarded as being equal to previous years. Follow this link: http://www.domaine-des-enfants.com/english/the-wine/
Carrie and Marcel’s favourite food matches:
Tabula rasa 2011:
Marcel- whole red snapper grilled on the fire with garlic confit, and oven roasted fingerling potatoes with green peppers and onions
Carrie- tajine slow roasted duck legs. Roasted with Moroccan spiced aubergine and chick peas. Garnished with raw red onions, oranges, mint and cilantro. Served with cumin cous cous
L’enfant perdu 2010:
Marcel- grilled veal chops with a rich reduction, cèpes, and a pecorino risotto
Carrie- Maury braised pork cheeks with parsnip chips, fork mashed fingerling potatoes with chives and crème fraîche,and blackened Brussels sprouts with lardons
3x Tabula rasa 2011& 3x L’enfant perdu 2010 @ £100 per case (excluding delivery)
We have just 40 6 bottle cases available, don’t miss out on this rare opportunity to taste a phenomenal wine.
e mail: email@example.com or call: 0208 3346929